Region 4 Scholarship
A minimum $1000 scholarship awarded annually to a graduating senior wishing to continue his/her education beyond high school.
A minimum $1000 scholarship awarded annually to an adult (i.e., not a graduating senior) wishing to continue his/her adult education.
1. Applicants must be planning to or currently majoring in any profession that requires college or other training equivalent to at least: (1) four school years or (2) two school years.
2. Applicants must be high school seniors or high school graduates currently enrolled, or planning to enroll, in a post high school program leading to an associate, bachelor, or graduate degree.
3. Applicants must be current members of AHA through a Region 4 club. Please attach your current AHA card with application
Applications for each scholarship will be evaluated on the following components. Point values have been assigned to each section. Points are awarded for each section on the basis of content, creativity, grammar, mechanics, and spelling. (Please list all of the following on separate documents.)
• Provide the following information: name, email, address, and phone.
• A short autobiography describing your interests, hobbies, academic achievements, future educational goals and why you believe you qualify for a Region 4 scholarship. (25pts)
• Describe your participation with the Region 4 Arabian Horse Association and all other equine activities … please list everything. Not just showing. (25pts)
• A SHORT essay (750-1500 words.) Original drawings, artwork, poetry, photos, etc., can be included to enhance the overall presentation. (50pts)
Essay Title: Promotion and Support of the Arabian/Half-Arabian/AngloArabian Breed Essays will be critiqued on the following:
• 25% Grammar and Mechanics
• 25% Creativity
• 50% Essay Content
*The scholarship committee will critique the essays.
• The scholarship committee will review all applications and essays, each member assigning point values listed above. Winner of the scholarship awards will be based upon total point accumulation. In the event of a tie, the scholarship committee reserves the right to select the winner based upon group vote.
• Three letters of recommendation including:
• One from a horseperson, with comments on applicant’s equine abilities or experiences;
• One from a teacher or advisor indicating the quality of work in school, and;
• One from any source (e.g. employer, clergyman, etc.). **Adult Only: If you are unable to provide a reference from a teacher or advisor, please provide two from one of the other categories for a total of three letters of recommendation.
• Proof of acceptance from the school where the scholarship will be applied (Required only after selection of recipient).
• All scholarship forms, answers to above questions, essays, and photocopies, must be sent via email to: email@example.com ON OR BEFORE MAY 1st, 2018. Subject line should read: Region 4 Scholarship Application. Applicants will receive a confirmation verifying receipt of application.
• Scholarship recipients will be notified no later than June 10th, 2018.
• Scholarship funds may only be used for tuition and/or books. A check will be issued in the name of the specified institution (upon verification of enrollment).
• Scholarships must be used within two years of the date of presentation or the recipient will forfeit the funds. Such funds will be returned to the Region IV Scholarship Foundation account.
• In the event of no applicants in one of the categories, the scholarship committee reserves the right to award two scholarships in the same division.
Incomplete applications will NOT be considered
____ Copy of AHA Membership card to verify Region 4 club affiliation
____ Provide contact information
____ Required answers to questions 2 and 3 (on separate documents)
____ 3 letters of recommendation
____ Proof of acceptance to chosen college or university upon request.
Region 4 Scholarship Foundation
The Region 4 Scholarship Foundation was established in 1993 in memory of deceased regional members. A Scholarship Committee was appointed and the first scholarships were awarded in 1995.
These awards – a youth scholarship (for a graduating high school senior) and an adult scholarship (for a post-high school adult) are presented annually to members in good standing of Region 4 clubs who wish to continue their education beyond high school.
The Region 4 Scholarship Committee would like to encourage your contributions. Pledges in any amount from members, clubs, or interested parties will be gratefully accepted. If a total of at least $5,000 is received in memory of a specific person, one of the annual scholarships will bear that person’s name for five or more years. Currently, both scholarships are available for this honor.
For information, application forms or pledge forms, contact any member of the Region 4 Scholarship Committee (all are listed in this directory) or visit the Region 4 website: AHARegionIV.com
The Region 4 Scholarship Committee: Dawn Gossler – Chair, Sarah Asby, Rebecca Fielding, Karla Moffitt and Peggy Weems